Beauty for Ashes

Sunday, April 25, 2004

Death to Beautiful Summer Land

I enjoyed my weekend more than usual, which is amazing because I tend to have the best weekends ever. I'm going to stick to Saturday because I don't feel like writing to much.
Saturday began like every other Saturday with me sleeping until around noon. Jamie, Mark, and I went to see Wesleyan play Cardinal Gibbons in baseball. As usual it wasn't even close with Wesleyan defeating Cardinal Gibbons 11-1. We all got nice farmers tans so that was cool. We then went home and awaited the arrival of Jacob, Brian, and Jessie. Jacob and Brian had deserted Jessie to go to a massive yardsale which is pretty much par for the course for those two. Well they showed up with a Jeep load of useless junk that ranged from 50 lbs. of Readers Digest books and 3 old golf bags (neither of them has any clubs) to a wet suit and a bowling ball with no holes. Soon after it was decided that we would go to the park. So Jamie, Mark, Jessie, Jamie, Jacob, Red, and I wandered around City Lake park for awhile. Jacob kissed the former ugly duckling, and was called "tall and nasty" by some little black girl on a train. We made a lot of people stare and Mark ate Pringles he found on the ground.
Next we went to the Civil War era graveyard that is just a stones throw from the playground, go figure. We walked between the graves of people who mostly died in the 1850's and 60's and read their headstones. I found one such headstone which had broken off and was lying under an oak tree, all that could still be read was "....Death to Beautiful Summer Land".
Brian and Jacob then left to go hang up a light fixture for some reason. Jessie left to go have dinner with Alex, and we made Red go home. Mark, Jamie, and I decided to roast hot dogs in a fire pot for lack of a grill. So Mark and I went to Food Lion where it was all we could do to resist a 24 pack of Italian sausages, if only we weren't Jewish? The meal went swimmingly of course. Then we played a board game which was quite fun. Then Mark and I resorted to playing with fire while Jamie laughed at us. We got some really cool pictures and I got burned. Then we sat and stared at the death of the fire without speaking because there was nothing to say. Again I found myself cursing the lights of High Point which blot out all but the brightest stars. Then Mark belched and the spell was broken, especially when he began peeing off the deck. Sometimes I think that this may be what heaven is like except instead of being in the prescence of those you love we're going to be in the prescense of God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home