Beauty for Ashes

Monday, October 04, 2004

Upon my return...

Last Thursday I went back. I returned to Wesleyan for the first time since graduation. I spent the first 11 years of my education there, so I thought I would never want to go back. It was the night before homecoming and all the students where decorating the halls in traditional Wesleyan homecoming fashion, although I must say I've seen better. I saw Tim (the principal) again, and he was actually happy to see me. I called some kid Dillon and found out later that that wasn't his name, and I put my arm around someone I thought was Johnny Held, but turned out not to be. That was ok though, the kid just asked if I wanted some pizza. Anyway, the whole experience was very calming for me, it made me wonder why last May I was dying to get out. Now I'm dying to return. It was good to wander the halls again. When I was little, we would file down the halls of Wesleyan, staying as close to the wall as we could, and I remember always having to be careful not to hit my head on this fire extinguisher. I looked at that same fire extinguisher on Thursday, it maybe comes up to my stomach now. It's amazing how something I walked by almost everyday for 11 years can suddenly become so revealing. I spent some of the best and worst times of my life within the plain cinderblock walls of Wesleyan. As I walked through the halls, I recognized and was recognized by just about everyone. Then I got to the freshmen hall. I watched them decorate their hall, realizing I didn't know one of them, and they didn't know me. How long will it be before I don't know anyone there? Well anyway, it gave me alot to think about. Well we showed up to the Helsers about 40 minutes late, and there was a wonderful surprise waiting for me. What a wonderful night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home