Beauty for Ashes

Friday, April 14, 2006

Four for Fighting


For me music is essential. Even though I have no ability to produce it, I can’t be without it. My ipod never leaves my side, because no matter what is going on around me, the small white rectangle offers total escape. I have a particular fondness for extremely long songs, the kind of song that even though its twice the length of a normal song, you still wish there was more. To me, when a song hits six minutes or so, it reaches a new level of greatness. So here are four long songs that I would not want to think about living without, and two that I must also mention:

1. Hey Jude (7:04) by The Beatles, quite possibly the greatest Rock ‘N Roll song of all time. If you don’t know it by heart, shame on you.
2. Transatlanticism (7:57) by Death Cab for Cutie, reminds me of Hey Jude for some reason, it takes me to a wonderful place with its simple repetition of, “I need you so much closer….”
3. Moon River (9:41) by Morrissey, yes yes, much thanks to Jamie for this one, and crying makes it.
4. A (9:45) by The Cartel, I have no idea why I love this song so much.

And an honorable mention to The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (6:32) by Gordon Lightfoot, for the tragic story of a shipwreck on Lake Superior.
And an honorable honorable mention to, God is Love (18:02) by Jonathan Helser, for the impact it’s had on so many people, and for its spectacular longness.

1 Comments:

  • i get no comment about showing you cartel? Whats going on man, I thought we were twins?

    take care brother

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home