Beauty for Ashes

Sunday, May 02, 2004

Manhood 101

Well the church men's retreat went pretty much as I expected except that Jesus is never just as good as we expect he's always better. Brian, Jacob, and Josh all went through the right of passage ceremony which actually ment more to me than when I went through it two years ago. Instead of being the one recieving the fatherly advice from older men, I found myself looking through Proverbs for a verse to back up my own advice to the three men to be. The best thing to happen unfortunatly takes some background info to explain so here goes. My church believes that the earthly father's blessing is extremely important to a young man, unfortunatly in modern America fatherhood has lost a great deal of it's meaning which has resulted in untold amounts of pain. So on the men's retreat, older men who never recieved this blessing from their earthly father's have the opportunity to recieve this blessing from their brother's Christ. Anyway, as all these old men where receiving the blessing they should have recieved from their fathers, (and crying like little children at the same time) Larry Daniels stepped forward, proclaimed that Jesus Christ was his Lord and walked into his blessing and the arms of his sons. Of course in order to know how big a deal this was you have to have known the Daniels for as long as I have, but trust me it was BIG.

Let's go back to Thursday real quick, another amazing night at the Helser's, Ken is the most amazing man I've ever met hands down I want to learn everything I can from him. Jamie and I had a great conversation on the way home. I can't wait 'till this Thursday and Friday.

"No more LSD for me, I met the man from Galilee..." - Ken Helser

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home